|

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Eleven Year Itch

I have shingles.

It's not the first time. Eleven years ago, while we were camping in July, I was complaining to Tim that an area around my eye was itching, and I had a rash. When I went to the doctor, he discovered that my blood sugar was around 200 and that I had shingles.

He put me on pills right away--big horse pills for the shingles, and glucophage, I think, for my diabetes. Up to that point I had been labeled "glucose intolerant." Now I was a Real Diabetic.

Now the shingles has come back, but this time on my back--the right shoulder blade. I thought it was just a bug bite, but it never seemed to heal or stop itching. Also, my skin was sensitive to clothing.

So, I knew I'd have to deal with clothing against my skin, so I decided to go to urgent care. They confirmed my self-diagnosis. Now I'm on pills again, but the case is not very severe and the doctor says I'm healing already. He said most doctors wouldn't even give me anything for it, but he gave me a prescription any way.

About this time last year I was anemic and needed four blood transfusions (over the course of a few days), so this is really nothing. I know some people suffer terribly from shingles, but this is really more annoying than painful.

I'm grateful for the internet (I read up on shingles at the Mayo clinic website), doctors, and meds. I'm also grateful for health, which thanks to gadgets (insulin pump) and prescription drugs, keeps me in pretty good shape.

I hope to make it through the next 11 years without any serious health issues.

Maybe even beyond.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com