|

Friday, March 17, 2006

Why I blog

What is it that makes me face the computer each (well, almost each) day and sort through the jumble that is my brain to transfer words from said brain to fingers to keyboard to screen to you?

Well, I have to admit part of the reason is the hope for feedback. In college I wrote articles, assignments and papers because they were required or because it was my job as an editor on the college newspaper. I got feedback from teachers on my assignments--not always the encouraging kind. I'll never forget the fiction writing assignment I did in grad school. It was common to put our stories up on the overhead for all the classroom to see. This particular day my professor really ripped my work. He encouraged others to chime in, but after a while I think my classmates took pity on me and stopped contributing criticism. It was all I could do to hold back tears. After class, I was consoled by other students who had "been there."

As a writer, or one who aspires to be a writer, I'm certainly not immune to criticism. I hope I've developed a thicker skin over the years as I've shared my thoughts and ideas via the written word. I could probably use more phlegmaticism in that regard--I tend to think of my writings as like my children or my home--if you attack it (or them) you are attacking me. I'm still working on separating myself from my "art."

It helps somewhat to think of myself as a wordsmith (implied by the Swansmith--my initials {sort of} with the smith thing going). Perhaps I'm not an artist, but I hope I'm a craftsman. I come to work every day and face the computer. If people respond to my craft, I am grateful and blessed, but if not, I've at least shown up for work and perhaps improved a bit through my effort.

Thanks to everyone who commented yesterday. Melissa, it was especially nice to welcome you to my blog. Thanks for reading--and I do hope to meet you in the Northwoods country some day.

Oh, and by the way, Happy St. Patrick's day to everyone. I'm wearing a wee bit o' green today since I'm a wee bit Irish--me socks and some decorative stripes on me sweater are how I'm celebratin' with the leprechans today. Tim's cousin Terry and his dad Patrick are celebratin' in St. Paul and watchin' the St. Paddy's day parade in the town decked in green. (Lori, that means the town is decked in green, but Terry & Pat probably are too.) Have yourself a good one.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com