|

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Belated recap on the weekend

I guess I was so excited to report on my doctor's visit yesterday that I forgot to recap the weekend's events. (I'm sure many of you were disappointed.) As we were busy getting ready Saturday, ("why do I have to clean my room--nobody's going in it!") our friend Lis dropped by. Lis is the kind of friend who can come unannounced any time and doesn't care what state of disarray or array my house is in. I immediately dropped whatever I was doing (dusting that high shelf in the bathroom that I never see) and sat down for a chat.

I had actually called Lis earlier in the week to invite her to our little get-together. She and her husband had been out biking and she got a flat tire near our house. So, she stopped by early, waiting for Doug to come back with the car. I immediately set to hydrating her and then spent some time catching up.

Doug stopped in for a bit, but then they had to leave to pick up their daughter. I went back to dusting high shelves, but the sense of urgency had vanished.

People arrived, friendships were renewed, old memories re-lived and stories told. Lis came back for a little while. We celebrated her 50th birthday (which was Friday). We also celebrated the first anniversary of friend Paul's open heart bi-pass surgery.

A little five-year old girl who stopped over spent the day with Raven. She tried to play catch with him (he isn't interested in toys) and tried to feed him whatever was on the table ( I told her several times, in a gentle but firm manner, that Raven would puke all over the place if she gave him everything she wanted to.)

Three o'clock was the start time, but I didn't think anyone would want to eat that early. Guess I was wrong. I had Tim quickly grill some hamburgers and brats so some of our guests could eat before they needed to leave at 4.

About 20 people came--not a massive crowd, but a manageable, fun one. I was tired by the end of the day, but the good kind of tired--when you know you've worked hard and can see the results and have enjoyed good company.

I hope it isn't two years before I see some of these friends again.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com