|

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Bible study with transformed folks

Terry has invited us, and Tim and I have talked about it many times. Last night, Tim's regular Tuesday night study was cancelled, so we decided to go to the Serenity Village Bible Study.

Serenity Village is a group of homes for people who are coming out of a life of addiction. So far there are five homes for men, but a sixth one for women is in the works. Terry has been part of Serenity Village for several months now.

The topic was on blessings and curses. The blessing of God on the life of so many of those in attendance was evident. They have turned from a life of drug, alcohol, or gambling addiction and put their faith in God. They attend these weekly studies in addition to other meetings and participate in acts of service in the community to demonstrate the love of God to others.

Although I have never been in prison for illegal drug use or drunk driving, I know that I can live in a different sort of prison--selfishness, pride, self-pity, etc. etc. I often think about how the sin of pride is probably one of the worst sins--and one I struggle with all the time. Those who have been rescued from a life of addiction know that God saved them from a living hell, and come to him in humility. I may look at them and wonder how they could have ever let their lives get so messed up.

But instead, I will seek to give up my pride daily, knowing but for the grace of God, there go I. (Perhaps many people look at me and say the same thing!) We are all in need of God's grace and I am glad he loves us in spite of our short comings.

I will live today under his blessing, and seek to live a life free from the curses that befall those who stray from his Word.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com