|

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Is preschool overrated?

I don't usually write about controversial topics, but I'm afraid this may be one. After reading my sister's blog I have thought I would post about a topic she made me think about.

Although I am long past the days of preschoolers, I'm in a Bible study with young moms and sometimes the discussion of preschool comes up. So far I have kept my opinions to myself, but I left a comment on my sister's blog and thought I'd vent a little bit here today.

There is a lot of talk about socialization of kids today--especially of those who don't know a lot about homeschooling and who worry that homeschool kids may not be mixing it up with their peers enough. As homeschooling has become more popular and the kids are turning out to be fine, well-adjusted adults (like my nephews), this argument has been silenced somewhat.

But people are still concerned about it. And as soon as kids are two years old (maybe younger), moms discuss various preschools and curriculums (curriculi?) and what and how much their kids will be learning.

I understand when my kindergarten teacher friend sees that children who have been in preschool do much better in kindergarten. In her case, she teaches in a setting where many parents are absent or uninvolved, and preschool helps the children learn basic things like getting along, putting on your snow pants, and tying your shoes.

However, it seems to me that we don't just let our kids be kids anymore. They have to be involved in at least two or three activities (at any age), and parents are wearing out.

I know there are many wonderful preschool programs out there, and many parents have to work so they want their children well cared for in a fun learning environment. So this is not an anti-preschool blog.

I'm just hoping that parents take time to enjoy their little ones while they're little--I know, I hated hearing older people say that to me in the midst of my preschool chaos--but it is really true. After the sort-of lull of elementary years comes the return of sleepless nights as your preschoolers are suddenly teenagers and have their drivers' licenses.

At least when they're two, you can still pick them up and put them where they need to go. It's a lot tougher when they're 17 and don't want to spend a lot of time at home.

Any comments are welcome--I even welcome those who disagree. I just wonder if I can come even close to my sister's comment count.

Till next time,


Suzi

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Your Tim(e) Has Come said...

wow! Are you ever out on a limb. What courage. Dan Rather would be proud.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Your Tim(e) Has Come said...

By the way, did you update your blog to one of the new ones? Is that why you now have the labels? If you did update, how did you keep your haloscan comments? Feel free to answer by blog, email, or if time allows, in person.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I did update my blog. But I haven't changed my template as others have. There is a limit to change, I think. Maybe in 2008.
Hope to talk to you face to face sometime, but if you don't get home soon, I may only talk to you in my dreams or gto through our monosyllabic morning conversations.
Love, SWN

9:32 PM  
Blogger Curly said...

I took my 4 year-old out of a wonderful preschool in October. Some people were very supportive, but most looked at me like I had three heads.
I feel HUGE pressure to "socialize" my daughter and make sure she is properly prepared to begin kindergarten. By law, I don't have to teach her anything until she is 6, but I can't stand the idea of her being behind the other kids. We spend an hour or so almost daily on school work.
It was a really tough decision to take her out of preschool, but we are glad that we followed our hearts.
However, I second guess myself constantly. It is hard to go against what society says is good and right.
Oh, last week at church a third grade teacher asked me, "What, you don't trust us?"
I didn't say this, but I was thinking, "Why would I trust you?" "I don't even know you."
Why would I trust my most precious possession to a total stranger?

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just sooooooooo glad I "stumbled" upon your blog entry! Had a discussion about this very thing with my super supportive mom tonight. After already homeschooling my oldest until last year (2nd grade) I should trust my instincts by now. I am so leaning toward keeping the three of mine home this year...the youngest for sure! She's only 4 and I want to spend time with her. I know...I'm so selfish!

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com