|

Sunday, January 28, 2007

New babies

Our little church plant is exploding with babies. One couple gave birth this past week, which was an underwater, 3 1/2 weeks early, home birth. Mom, Dad and baby are all fine. Baby Peter weighed in at 8 lbs., 4 oz., so I can only imagine what he might have weighed if he were full term. Both of his parents are tall, but he was only 20.5 inches long. Still, not too shabby--there is still real basketball potential.

Another good friend from church is due in the next couple of weeks, and two other babies were born in the last three months. Two other women are pregnant with summer due dates.

At work, one of the faculty members I work with is expecting in April, another co-worker is due in July, and I know of two other expectant mothers on campus and one co-worker who gave birth (early, too) over a week ago.

It seems I went for quite a long time without knowing anyone who was expecting. It's been almost 19 years since I gave birth to the last baby born to us (we cheated with Christina who is adopted). I guess I should soon be entering the "grandma" phase.

Still, my boys are young and currently "single"--meaning between girlfriends. I can wait to be a grandma. And I would like to have a daughter-in-law first, thank you very much (I'm sure my boys will do things in that order--wedding, then baby--right boys???) And at 17, my daughter is way too young to be thinking about marriage and kids.

In the meantime, it's fun to watch others' babies come into the world. In the nursery today I read one of those books--(oh what are they called--thick-paged baby style books) to six-month old Benjamin. He is already working on turning the pages. Smart kid. (Well, his mother is a computer/music guru and his dad is a doctor. His older sibs--two sisters, 6 and 3 are pretty sharp, too.)

Smart or not, they are still babies, needing lots of care. So when they spit up and poop and grab hungrily at my shirt, I can say, "Sorry, honey, my faucets are dry. Here's mommy."

Till next time,


Suzi

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Curly said...

You better not drink the water at church! Oops. ;)

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com