|

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Babies vs. teenagers

Today I've been with moms of new babies. I've seen their tired faces, but also peeked at the cuteness of the newborns. I can't help but remember the days my boys were tiny like that and how now, it seems life was so much simpler then...

Teenagers bring on their own kind of tiredness. I'm up late at night for different reasons now. They have their own minds, and don't always agree with how you want them to pursue life goals. You begin to wonder, did the values I tried to instill in these kids over the course of almost two decades (more with the oldest) take hold in any kind of way?

Then they clean their room, or the kitchen, or say thanks for something you did for them, or take the dog out without being asked, and you think, maybe something good rubbed off.

And then you think about your own life and your many imperfections, and you think, maybe something good rubbed off in spite of yourself. And maybe, in spite of all the frustrations and disagreements and wringing of hands, maybe things will turn out all right.

And you're thankful that you're not God and that your children are in God's capable hands. It's time, or almost time, to release them. We still give direction, we still pray, but they are God's children and he loves them even more than we do.

And I take great comfort in that. Because I can't rock them and feed them and change them like I could when they were babies. (Well, I can still feed them.) But I entrust them to the Rock who is the only one who can ultimately mold them and change them into His image.

Till next time,

Suzi

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Curly said...

Well said.

I have to constantly give my kids to God.

Thanks for the reminder.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com