|

Saturday, February 03, 2007

It's really freezing

This morning when I got up to walk the dog, the temperature said ten below on the outdoor thermometer. Since I knew my sister was probably taking her walk this morning under worse conditions, I bundled up. Raven stood patiently, not even adorning the red light I've been putting around his neck in our pre-dawn walks. (This morning's walk was more pre-noon--actually around 8:45 am).

I got all my layers on and ventured out. Hey, this isn't bad, I thought. I had put my contact lenses in so I wouldn't have to deal with my glasses fogging up. The wind chill was minus 30, I think, but the wind didn't seem too bad.

We only took one short cut on the way home--and that was more to avoid another dog than it was to avoid the cold. However, on the last block home, I felt the wind whipping up into my face. My watery eyes were freezing into droplets on my lashes. However, I bravely stopped at the mailbox before dashing up into the house.

Mark was up and commented on my red face. I started unwrapping layers and noted my pink cheeks. But then, I usually have a bit of a "ruddy" complexion.

I reminded Mark of how he'd commented one morning last summer how my face looked pretty pale. That was when I found out how low my hemoglobin was, and then had four blood transfusions and a hysterectomy.

I'll take rosy cheeks and a little nippy weather over low hemoglobin any day.

And Cheri, I can't believe you didn't walk today! However, you outwalk me every day, and I know it is even colder in the Northwoods than here in the big city of Minneapolis...

Stay warm--it's even cold in the southern US!

Till next time,


Suzi

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Curly said...

A friend and I were complaining about how cold it was this afternoon.
After reading your blog and Cheri's blog I feel ashamed for being such a wimp.
I don't even have a fireplace.
Four units of blood! Yikes! I bet you were ghostly.

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com