|

Friday, March 14, 2008

A new mantra

Yesterday morning, I received several frantic text messages from my daughter--"I'm sick" "Please pick me up" I have a terrible headache" "People are telling me I look pale..."

She has missed a lot of school this year, yet I felt she could make it through this day. I tried to be firm, but supportive. Finally I texted "I'm at work now." The texts ceased.

Turns out she had a great day at school after she had some Advil. She scored very well on a test of a class she's struggled in, and she was genuinely happy when she got home from work.

When I arrived at work that morning, I was little down after all the texting, not knowing how the day would end up. My friend Shelly gave me some advice: what you need are some endorphines. Exercise is better than drugs, and it will make you feel better.

So, I walked Raven that night. And I walked him again tonight. In addition to our morning walks.

Last night, Christina came into our room to talk to me.

"Mom, I'm sorry about this last week. Can we forget it and just start over?"

These words were like salve to my soul. "Sure honey. Thanks so much for saying that."

My new mantra is: "Live in the moment, plan for the future, forgive the past." I don't know how long I can keep it up or how long Christina and I will be at peace with one another, but I hope to remember that moment when she sat on my bed and told me about her wonderful day. That conversation was a gift, and I received it gratefully.

Shelly told me having a dog was a great thing--and that besides walking him, playing with him was good too. Then I told her I don't have a playful dog. Even though he is a German shepherd mix. You throw a ball, he looks at you like, what'r you trying to do? Shelly and I thought maybe if I throw food, or cover a ball in peanut butter, then Raven would be more likely to play. He loves food, thrown or otherwise.

But right now I'll enjoy the bone my daughter has thrown me. A meaty one, a peace bone, a happy moment.

I'm sure dark times will come again. I'll try to go for a walk, throw a peanut butter covered ball, or look for the peaceful meaty bones in my life.

Weird metaphors, but they work for me.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com