|

Saturday, March 15, 2008

St. Patrick is upstaging Julius Caesar

Beware the Ides of March? Not this year, I guess. St. Patrick's day is moved to today, apparently to avoid conflict with Monday, the second day of Holy Week.

I don't think Jesus would mind sharing Holy Week with St. Patrick, who evangelized most of Ireland after living as a slave there and returning as a missionary.

But never mind. This hasn't happened since 1940, and won't happen again until 2160. I don't expect I was or will be around for either of those dates.

But darn, I wish I had known! It's now the middle of the day and I'm not wearing a stitch of green! I suppose I could always go and change my clothes, but I like flaunting the green on work days.

Metro transit in the Twin Cities always provides (well, Miller Brewing Co. foots the bill, I think) free transit rides for those who celebrate on March 17. There's a rumor that the Irish Catholic town of St. Paul is providing free rides today. I know St. Paul is having a parade today, while I believe Minneapolis is celebrating on Monday.

Well, the green I'm really hoping to celebrate soon is the green grass and leaves that I hope will be popping out. (Green cash is nice, too...)

I think I'll celebrate both days. After all, I live in a Minneapolis suburb but work in a St. Paul suburb. Today at home I'll dance an Irish jig and on Monday I'll eat key lime yogurt.

How does that sound?

Till next time,


Suzi

PS BTW, in case you're not a historian or a Shakespeare fan, the Ides of March is a reference to the day Julius Caesar was warned about--the day his enemies assassinated him. A soothsayer warned him of that day, and his dying words were "et tu Brute"--even you, Brutus--as his closest friend betrayed him and joined in the group who planned Caesar's death. I guess it will be more fun to celebrate St. Patrick's life than Caesar's death anyway. Here's to wearin' of the green!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com