|

Monday, December 06, 2004

Serving communion

Yesterday Tim and I were asked to serve communion in our church. It's rather a small church right now--a growing church plant of our parent church, Plymouth Covenant. We were to hold the elements--Tim held the bread and I held the cup, as the members of the congregation came forward to take the bread, then dip it in the cup.

It's been a long time since I've served communion--and it was in our old church where we passed a plate of pieces of wafer, bread, or cracker, and then later passed a plate of small cups of juice. It was more like taking an offering. But in this setting yesterday, I could see each individual as he or she participated. Tim said, "God loves you and gave his body for you," and I said, "The blood of Christ, shed for you." It was so moving to see people's response in such a simple act. I felt the presence of the Lord as people came forward.

At the end of our service, the guest pastor came up and offered to help Tim and me serve each other. Later, a friend of ours who is going through a difficult divorce said he was moved to tears as he watched us serve each other.

I hope never to take this act of worship as a mere ritual. I am thankful that Jesus gave himself for us, and that we can remember his sacrifice through this special sacrament. And I am thankful for a husband who shares my faith and with whom I can serve the Lord, side by side.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com