|

Friday, April 07, 2006

Health stuff

I talked to my Dad yesterday, and Mom's got some health concerns they are dealing with. It's nothing at the crisis or panic mode, but it's another sign that we're all getting older and that it really sucks that my parents are 1000+ miles away from us.

As I think back over how my Mom has been so instrumental in my life, two memories of her love and care for me come up. This may be an odd recollection, but I think about how she always had my cereal ready for me every morning before school. I remember putting strawberries or bananas or blueberries on to doctor it up (she had them out too), and I was always able to sleep till just about 30 minutes before the bus came because all I had to do was throw on my clothes, grab my books, and eat the breakfast that was waiting for me. Mom always had a sack lunch ready to go too.

The other memory that keeps replaying is when I was in the hospital when Luke was born. I was in pretty rough shape after a terrible labor which ended up in a C-section delivery anyhow. Luke was fine, but I was dealing with high blood pressure and had 24-hour nursing care, with a NO VISITORS sign on the door. Mom arrived the day after Luke was born, and popped her head into my room. "That sign's not for me, is it?" she asked as she bounded into the room. The nurse said that my blood pressure would probably have been more elevated if she had tried to keep my mom away from me. Mom proceeded to take care of me, my husband, my baby and my house during my recovery period and adjustment to life with our first newborn.

Mom's always been the caregiver--for us kids, and for my dad lately as he deals with his diabetes. Now we may need to lend a hand. I'm really glad Cheri, Pat & Daniel have been there this week as they are all dealing with this new information, and that Roger is still not too far away.

Of course, the Lord is near to us all, and the prayers we pray bring us together in a special bond that even physical distance can't deter.

Till next time,


Suzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com