|

Monday, July 31, 2006

Hot

Yesterday the mercury hovered near 100 degrees. The weather channel said Minneapolis hadn't seen 100 degrees in 11 years. The dew point was 76 degrees, making the air temperature feel like 113.

Tim and I holed up and watched DVDs. We watched Luther, the Thrivent production made in 2003. It was well done and made me appreciate again this amazing man and his strong desire to give the people the word of God in their own language.

Then we watched Bonhoeffer, a documentary. Another fantastic theologian. I didn't realize Dietrich Bonhoeffer had his doctorate by age 21. He was a man of strong conviction and courage, living in Nazi Germany as part of the resistance movement. He was imprisoned towards the end of World War II for participating in plot to assassinate Hitler, and was executed just a couple of weeks before the Allied forces liberated concentration camps. He was only about 35 years old.

Last night we watched Coach Carter--a story of another man of incredible conviction. He was (and maybe still is) a coach of a basketball team in a school where less than 50 percent of the students even graduated. He instilled a sense of self-worth in his players and turned their losing season into a winning one. He helped the students believe in themselves and five of his players ended up getting athletic scholarships.

Today I have a job interview--this time for a part-time, one-year position. I hope I can have even a small percentage of the confidence that these men in the movies showed. But if I realize my confidence comes from my faith and not my own abilities, then que sera sera--what will be will be.

So today it's about staying cool and confident and trusting in the one who is controls the weather, my circumstances, and my future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com