|

Monday, October 16, 2006

Markcelo

Six years ago we had a foreign exchange student, a young man, from Ecuador--Marcelo. We had a great year with him--even though at times he tried to exert his independence ("I am NOT 13 years old...")

Anyway, in the spring of his stay with us--just two months before he was to leave to go back to Ecuador, he traveled to Washington, DC to attend his cousin's wedding. I got a phone call the day before he was to fly home.

"Hi mom! Can I stay a few more days?"

At first my answer was no, then I made many phone calls and jumped through lots of hoops to buy him a few more days.

He ended up missing his rescheduled plane.

So, the next day he got on a flight and made it back home. Tim refused to allow me to pick him up at the airport, so he took a bus to downtown with his luggage (he was traveling pretty light) and then walked the few blocks home from the bus stop, after stopping at McDonalds.

This was pre-9-11--otherwise I don't think we could have pulled that one off--a foreign exchange student away from his host family with a questionable time table.

Anyway, on Saturday I got a call from my second born.

"Hi!" (Not hi mom--it threw me off for a second, because actually I was sort of expecting a call from my nephew. But as he kept talking I realized it was Mark.)

"Can I stay in Europe a little bit longer?"

Apparently Mark and John are having a blast in Nice, France--where they are hanging out with other internationals, they have a nice hostel, not too expensive, with four kitchens and laundry, and they buy groceries and take turns cooking.

Tim can really use Mark's help later in the week, but we hated to keep him from enjoying his trip to the fullest. I think he'll be back on Tuesday next week.

That is, if he doesn't miss his flight....

He may be taking the bus home from the airport...

Till next time,


Suzi

1 Comments:

Blogger Lada said...

Cute anecdote! Funny how such things happen....

That quote you posted on below--"be the change you want to see in the world"--is one of my favourites. It excited me to see someone else commenting on it.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com